Paradigm Shift - Final Year Project

I am responsible for modelling, texturing, rigging and animating both characters (Survivor and Raptor) and also contributed to the level design and creation within CryEngine 3.

Brief

Essentially "Do whatever you want" within the limits of our course. Reuse of assets from previous modules was permitted.

With this brief, I decided that I wanted to showcase as much as I had learned throughout my course rather than concentrate on one area. During a previous Character Modelling module, I had created a backstory for my character. I decided to use my character and backstory to create a short trailer for a game concept.

The game concept involves a lot of vegetation, as the setting is post-apocalyptic London being reclaimed by nature. With this in mind, we decided to use CryEngine3 as it had the best and easiest vegetation tools at the time.

One of my classmates, Shailen Patel, was interested in my concept and also wanted to improve on his environment art skills.

References

I drew inspiration from existing stories and environments from games and films and created mood boards to try and narrow down the look that was needed for the trailer.

As the setting for our project was a post-apocalyptic London being reclaimed by nature, I gathered references and inspiration from existing games and films with similar visuals of destructive beauty - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, I Am Legend and The Last of Us.

Click to enlarge.

MoodBoard

Characters

Programs used - 3Ds Max, Adobe Photoshop, ZBrush

In a previous module, I created a male survivor character, whose backstory became the idea for this project. The survivor's base mesh was created in 3Ds Max, imported into Zbrush for the high poly model and then baked back onto the low poly model. The same process was used to created the velociraptor.

Click the thumbnails to enlarge.

FinalPoseSmall
FaceCLoseUp
LegsFinal
LegsFinalFront
ZBrushHandDetail
Zbrush04
RaptorPose04
RaptorWireframe

Environment

Programs used - 3Ds Max, Adobe Photoshop, CryEngine 3

We created our own building and vehicle assets and imported them into the engine to use in our scene. We used CryEngine's vegetation painting tools to inaitially place vegetation and fine-tuned them later. All vegetation and the Humvee are CryEngine assets.

Click the thumbnails to enlarge.

Shard
HSBC
Street%202

Reflection

Looking back on the project, it's clear to see that we had bitten off more than we could chew with the timescale that we had. We challenged ourselves to make create a trailer on an epic scale with just two people, not properly taking into consideration how much time it would take to storyboard, model, texture animate and implement it all into an unfamiliar game engine. We crammed a lot of work into a short space of time.

A lot of our initial production time was spent getting familiar with CryEngine 3. We also came across a major issue in importing out character into the engine. We overcame the issue by copying the code for an existing skeleton and altering it to use for our survivor character.

I stand by our decision to use it rather than UDK as the tools it provided for painting and placing vegetation were crucial to the project.

I'm still happy with the final result considering how much the project had to be cut down, however the experience taught me an important a lesson in managing my time and workload.

Cv button

{{ formitem.title }}

{{ message | trans }}
{{ error | trans }}
{{{ thankyou }}}